Our History

In 1948, our banking institution first opened its doors to customers at the Dockyard Credit Union location in Halifax. Since then, the financial well-being of our customers has always been a top priority.

Today, with total assets of over $760 million and branches spanning from Cole Harbour to Tantallon, a Corporate Office, Commercial Lending and a dedicated Customer Contact Centre, we continue to provide flexible products, personalized service and quick decisions for our members, opening the door to a brighter financial future for everyday people.

For 70 years and counting, we look forward to continuing to build a stronger community, one customer at a time.

Milestones:

2019

Partnership with Halifax Chamber of Commerce

CUA introduces Foreign Resident Mortgage

2018

Spryfield branch location opens

CUA introduces new line of credit cards

2017

Assets top $460 million

Partnerships with CEED, Centre of Entrepreneurship Education and Development, Habitat for Humanity Nova Scotia and the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)

2015

CUA becomes the first B Corp-certified company in Atlantic Canada and the third in Canada

2011

e-Transfers introduced

2008

Installation of chip card-enabled ATM machines

Amalgamation of CUA with Halifax Civic Credit Union

2007

Launch of online banking tool, known as MemberDirect® Integrated Services

Launch of basic personal income tax service

Tantallon branch location opens

2006

Cow Bay Road branch relocates to its current location on Pleasant Street

2005

Energy Efficiency Financing is introduced

2003

CUA listed as one of the top 101 companies in Atlantic Canada for 10 consecutive years according to Progress Magazine

2002

Wellspring Financial Management, a wealth management subsidiary, is introduced

Halifax Shopping Centre Annex branch location opens

2001

Net income increases 54% over previous year

1998

CUA Financial Service (CUAFS) is introduced

1997

Clayton Park Branch purchased from Laurentian Bank of Canada

Eastern Passage Branch relocates to its current location on Cumberland Drive

1996

Opening of Customer Contact Centre

1995

Amalgamation of CUA with Halifax West Aquinas

1994

Assets top $100 million

Alamgamation of CUA with Russel Credit Union

1993

Acquiring of Eastern Passage Credit Union and Saint Anslem's Credit Union

1992

Establishment of CUA Community Development Fund

1991

Amalgamation of Halifax Metro Credit Union and name change to CUA

1989

Joins Interac and Plus ABM Network

1986

Plastic financial card (now known as the debit card) is introduced

1985

Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF) is introduced

1977

Amalgamation with Rail Air Savings

Adoption of interest-bearing chequing account

1976

Computer terminals is installed in most branches

1974

First computer system is introduced

1973

Beginning of conventional mortgage financing provided

Adoption of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)

Acquires CBC Halifax Staff

1969

Name of Dockyard Credit Union changed to Federal Savings Credit Union

1967

Amalgamation with Army Civil Credit Union

1964

First million dollars in assets is reached

1948

Dockyard Credit Union is established

1925

Nova Scotian farmers urge for a Credit Union Law in Nova Scotia

1909

First 'People's Bank' is established in Quebec

The Credit Union Movement comes to North America

 

Find Branch/ATM

Enter address, postal code or branch name